Many property owners dream of a neat, tidy lawn. The right mower is the key to a neat and tidy lawn. Whether it’s a classic push mower or a lawn tractor for larger yards, there are numerous brands from which to choose—so many, in fact, that making sense of which brand is the right one for individual budget and lawn-size needs can be overwhelming.
This guide will help you make an informed decision. It also reviews the top lawnmowers available.
About the brand Whether for a Civic or a push lawn mower, Honda’s engines have always been known for their reliability and long life—excellent qualities in a lawn mower.
Price rangeFrom $$ to $1$$
Lawn mowers are only a part of the landscape. Honda’s business, which is also known for its cars, trucks, motorcycles, and even jet airplanes. Honda, a manufacturer of motorcycles based in Tokyo, has been well-respected since its inception. The reputation extends even to its mowers.
Honda lawn mowers are easy to start, require little maintenance, and last a very long time. One reason for this is Honda’s patented two-blade cutting system, which reduces the wear and tear on the engine and blades. The downside of a Honda mower is that, like some of its automobiles, they’re more expensive than most competitors’ models.
- Honda 3-in-1 Variable Speed Gas Lawn Mower. The power, quality of cut, and reliability of Honda’s 21-inch mower is a testament to what makes this company one of the best lawn mower brands on the market. The Honda 3-in-1 Variable speed gas lawn mower at The Home Depot is $469
- Honda 4-in-1 gas walk behind self-propelled lawn mower: This 21-inch mower offers the options of mulching, bagging, discharging, or shredding leaves. You can bagging and mulching simultaneously. The Honda 4-in-1 Self-Propelled Gas Walk Behind Lawn Mower at The Home Depot starts at $699
You can find more Honda lawnmowers at:
2. John Deere
About the brand: Besides its signature green color and deer logo, John Deere is best known for its lawn tractors, which are some of the most highly regarded in the industry.
Price range $$$ to $$$$
One of the oldest lawnmower companies in the country. John Deere gained notoriety in the early 19th century when its eponymous founder revolutionized farming with the invention of the steel-bladed plow. The company wouldn’t debut its first lawn tractor until nearly 100 years later, in 1963. In the years since, the Moline, Illinois–based John Deere has leveraged its more than 100 years of experience building tractors to turn out Mowers renowned for being powerful, high-performing, and durable.
The company is also well regarded for its customer service, a reputation it’s had since the company famously refused to repossess any of its tractors from farmers during the Great Depression. John Deere lawn tractor are also among the most expensive on market.
- John Deere Gas Hydrostatic Lawn Tractor S120: The 22-horsepower engine and hydrostatic transmission on the S120 lawn tractor is an excellent example of the high-quality build and power of John Deere mowers. The John Deere Gas Hydrostatic Lawn Tractor S120 at The Home Depot is $2,299
- John Deere Lawn tractor with 48-inch deck: This 21.5-horsepower riding lawn mower has a 15-inch seat and is compatible with an optional mulch kit. John Deere Lawn Tractor with 41 inch Deck available at John Deere starting at $3,199
Find more John Deere lawnmowers at:
About the brand: As one of the best-known names in push lawn mowers, Toro has a strong reputation for durability and reliability.
Price range $ to $$$$
Part of what makes it great ToroMowers are so durable and well-built that they have been around for so long. Toro was the first push-mower manufacturer to enter the market in 1948. Since then, the company has continued to innovate and improve its product line. They start easily and simply last longer than other mowers, thanks mainly to their Briggs & Stratton engines and thick-gauge steel construction. Toro mowers also are low maintenance—they don’t require an oil change for the entire life of the mower
Toro has added battery-powered push mowers to its product line in recent years. These well-built mowers are more expensive than other brands, like John Deere and Honda.
- Toro Recycler Gas Personal Pace Gas Self-Propelled Lawnmower: With its classic high-wheel design, the Recycler is a 22-inch rear-wheel-drive mower. It’s a great example of the durability and solid design that Toro’s lawn mowers provide. The Toro Recycler Gas Self-Propelled Lawnmower Personal Pace Gas Self-Propelled Lawnmower at The Home Depot starting at $449
- Toro TimeCutter Zero Turn Riding Mower: This 50-inch riding mower from Toro offers speeds ranging from 4 to 7 miles per hour. It also has a step up feature and storage space. The Toro TimeCutter Zero-Turn Riding Mower is now available at The Home Depot for just $3,599
- Toro 60v Flex Force Battery Lawn Mower: This 21-inch 60-volt Flex Force battery mower has a 45-minute runtime and 150-minute charge time. It can cut from 1 to 4 inches and has nine positions. Ace Hardware sells the Toro 60v Flex Force Battery Lawn Mower starting at $429
You can find more Toro lawnmowers here
About the brand: Troy-Bilt lawn mowers offer rugged construction and reliability at a more affordable price than many other established mower brands on the market.
Price Range $ to $$$$
While Troy-Bilt might not have the pedigree of Honda or Toro, it’s a formidable brand nonetheless. Since 1937, when it introduced a residential rototiller, the company has been making engine-powered yard machinery. The company has been improving its small-engine yard equipment, including lawnmowers, since then.
Despite its solid reputation for making reliable and well-designed mowers. Troy-BiltIts prices are still comparatively lower than those of other top brands. This is notable because many of its models use the highly-coveted Honda engines. Troy-Bilt mowers are one of the best value on the market. This makes them an excellent choice for anyone looking for a reliable, durable mower at a low price.
- Troy-Bilt 3-in-1 Gas Push Lawn Mower: The GCV Series walk-behind push mower from Troy-Bilt sports a durable Honda engine at an affordable price. The Troy-Bilt 3-in-1 gas push lawn mower at The Home Depot is $309
- Troy-Bilt 21 in. High Wheel Push Mower With its 140-cc engine, the 21-inch push mower offers side discharge, mulching, and six height positions. Troy-Bilt 21 in. Tractor Supply offers the Troy-Bilt 21 in. High Wheel Push Mower for $239.99
- Troy-Bilt 6-Speed Manual Drive Riding Lawn Mower: With a 30-inch cutting deck and an 18-inch turn radius, this riding mower can get into tighter spots than other riding mowers. The Troy-Bilt 6-Speed Manual Driving Lawn Mower for $1,499 at The Home Depot
You can find more Troy-Bilt lawnmowers at:
About the brand: Greenworks is known for its groundbreaking innovations in battery-powered lawn equipment.
Price range $ to $$
Greenworks is one among many up-and-coming manufacturers for corded and battery-powered yard equipment. Greenworks is responsible for launching the first battery-powered cordless mower with dual blades in 2013. The company’s mowers are powered by a 40-volt battery, which gives them more power and a longer battery life than other battery-powered mowers. These self-propelled lawnmowers can be used for approximately 45 minutes.
These advances are not only in battery technology but also in other areas. Greenworks’ other innovations include SmartCut technology. This technology adjusts the speed of the mower blades depending on the thickness of the lawn. This feature maximizes battery life.
- Greenworks 40V 16 Inch Push Electric Lawn Mower With a battery life that surpasses an hour, plus a 16-inch cutting deck, the Greenworks 40-volt 16-inch cordless lawn mower is the culmination of the company’s years of innovation in battery-powered lawn tools. Amazon has the Greenworks 40V 16 Inch Electric Lawn Mower for $206.09
- Greenworks Reel Lawn Mower This manual reel lawn mower does not require any power beyond the user’s strength. It has a 14 inch cutting width and a 5-blade steel reel. Greenworks Reel Lawn Mower for $76.49 on Amazon
- Greenworks 12-Amp Corded Electric Mower Powered by a cord, this 12-amp lawn mower has an 18-inch cutting deck and offers the choice of rear bagging, side discharge, and mulching. Walmart has the Greenworks 12-Amp Corded Electric Lawn Mower for $139
Find more Greenworks lawnmowers at:
About the brand: CRAFTSMAN offers both electric and gas lawn mowers, and it has been one of the most prolific brands in riding lawn mowers for decades.
Price range $ to $$$
Sears, which was the parent company that gave Craftsman its iconic status in the world of tools, may not live on, but the Craftsman name will continue to be known. It was acquired by Stanley Black & Decker in 2017, and its name still means something.
While Craftsman tractors may not have as much power as John Deere and Cub Cadet (see No. Although they may not have as much power as John Deere and Cub Cadet (see No. 9 below), they still offer many of the same features such as hydrostatic transmissions, ergonomic high-back seats, and hydrostatic transmissions. Craftsman lawntractors are durable, reliable and cost-effective.
- CRAFTSMAN 160-cc 21 in Self-Propelled Lawn Mower At 21 inches wide, this mower has 11-inch wheels, a 160-cc Honda engine, and six height positions. Get the CRAFTSMAN M250 160-cc 21-in Self-Propelled Lawn Mower at Lowe’s for $399
- CRAFTSMAN 20 volt Max Electric Lawn Mower With 50 minutes of runtime, this mower offers cutting options from 1.5 inches to 3.5 inches high. The 35-pound mower can also be stored vertically. Get the CRAFTSMAN 20-Volt Max Electric Lawn Mower at Lowe’s for $299
Find more Craftsman lawnmowers at:
About the brand: EGO’s innovative battery-powered tools push the envelope of what’s possible with cordless lawn mowers.
Price range $$ to $$$$
Most people are concerned about battery-powered mowers. They want to know how powerful they are and how long do they last. The industry is constantly developing new battery technologies. Ego has gained a reputation for being one of the top innovators.
This is evident in the 56-volt ARC lithium battery. It has a runtime of over 60 minutes, which is the longest battery-powered mower on market. It can be fully charged in under an hour after it is fully charged. Ego is a well-respected brand that makes battery-powered mowers.
- EGO Power+ Mower LM2133: With its expansive 21-inch cutting deck, 45-minute runtime, and rapid charger, the LM2133 mower is an excellent example of EGO’s ability to innovate to get the most out of battery power. Amazon has the EGO Power+ Mower LM2133 for $569
- EGO Power+ LM2142SP 56-Volt Mower: A longer runtime mower, this 56-volt 3-in-1 self-propelled mower offers up to 80 minutes of lawn cutting on the two batteries included. Get the EGO Power+ LM2142SP 56-Volt Mower at Lowe’s for $799
- EGO Power+ Zero Turn 41″ Mower: A battery-platform compatible riding mower, this 42-inch mower offers 22 horsepower and three driving modes. Get the EGO Power+ Zero Turn 41″ Mower at Acme Tools for $5,499
You can find more EGO lawnmower models at:
About the brand: As with its highly regarded line of chainsaws, Husqvarna mowers are renowned for their power and reliability.
Price range $$ to $$$$
Sweden-based Husqvarna is well known as a manufacturer of high-end outdoor power tools, with chainsaws being perhaps its most well-known product. Although the company makes lawn-care products that include walk-behind and lawn-tractors, its most well-known product is its riding mowers, which include tractors and zero turn mowers.
Husqvarna’s product line is among the most durable and reliable brands on the market. They also have higher-end features such as pedal-operated speed control and direction control, ergonomic seats, and comfortable controls. Durability and cutting-edge features aren’t cheap, though. Husqvarna’s lawn mowers, like most of its outdoor tools, come at a premium price.
- Husqvarna Z254F Lawn Mower: The Z254F zero-turn mower, with its max speed of 6.5 miles per hour, plush seating, ergonomic control, and sturdy build panel, exemplifies what Husqvarna mowers are all about. Get the Husqvarna Zero-turn Lawn Mower at Lowe’s for $3,299
- Husqvarna Automower Robotic Lawn Mower: As a robotic lawn mower, it has a 60-minute runtime and can cut up to 700 square feet of lawn. It also has Bluetooth connectivity for up to 100 feet. Amazon offers the Husqvarna Automatic Robotic Lawn Mower at $1,399.95
Shop for more Husqvarna lawn mowers at:
9. Cub Cadet
About the brand: While Cub Cadet tractors are highly regarded for their reliability and sturdy construction, their mowing decks set them apart for the exceptional cuts they produce.
Price Range $ to $$$
Valley City, Ohio–based Cub Cadet has its roots in building small tractors for farmers back in the 1960s. It has grown to be a well-respected manufacturer of lawn tractors, regularly competing with John Deere for top spot.
Cub Cadet walking and riding mowers as well as walk-behind mowers are well-known for their reliability and well-built mowers. They also have a reputation for creating beautiful lawns with their well-designed lawn decks. These mowers also offer features not found on other models, such as cruise control (or pedal-speed control), and a variety of other features. But, as with other high-end brands on this list, that premium cut doesn’t come cheap. Cub Cadet lawn tractors are among the most expensive on the market.
- Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro LT Gas Riding Lawn Tractor: Features such as cruise control, 12 deck-height positions, and ergonomic seating in the XT1 Enduro LT mower are indicative of the high quality of Cub Cadet mowers. The Cub Cadet Enduro LT Gas Riding Lawn Tractor is available at The Home Depot starting at $2,099
- Cub Cadet Self Propelled Lawn Mower With a 21-inch cutting width, this self-propelled mower has a four-cycle engine and a 1.9-bushel-capacity rear bagger. The Cub Cadet Self-Propelled Lawn Mower is available at MowersDirect for $419.99
Find Cub Cadet lawnmowers at:
How we chose the best lawn mower brands
After considering dozens of lawn mowers from the best lawn mower brands, the recommended products were selected in order to showcase the best among each brand’s variety of lawn mower styles and types. The features that were included in the final list included runtime, bagging style and size, height adjustment options as well as turning ability and cutting deck.
These lists cover a range of lawn mowers including push mowers and riding tractors. We also considered price, overall size, storage options, and other factors.